HiPC 2011 Travel Scholarships for Students from Indian Institutions
The International Conference on High-Performance Computing (HiPC) is the premier computer systems conference in India, emphasizing the areas of Architecture, Systems Software, Applications, Algorithms, and Communication Networks. This year's conference is being held in Bengaluru (Bangalore) from Dec. 18 - 21, 2011. It serves as a forum to present current work by researchers from around the world as well as to highlight activities in Asia in the high performance computing area. The meeting emphasizes both design and analysis of high performance computing systems and their scientific, engineering, and commercial applications. For more information about the conference, technical program and speakers, please visit the primary website at www.hipc.org.
We are pleased to announce Travel Scholarships for HiPC 2011 to promote research in HiPC areas in India. We would like to encourage motivated students studying at engineering and technical colleges in India to attend the conference through these travel scholarships, provided on a merit basis. The conference will expose students to current worldwide research and enable them to interact with leading researchers in the field.
The details of this year's scholarship, including eligibility, covered expenses and compliance policies, are provided below. Prospective applicants are requested to read them carefully. The award of the scholarship is subject to compliance of the policies as described below.
Fulltime students studying at engineering colleges and other technical educational institutions of repute in India may apply for the travel scholarships. These students must be enrolled in a 3 or 4 year Bachelors degree program, or a post-graduate program leading towards a Masters or a Ph.D. degree at the time of application. Students studying at local institutions in Bengaluru (Bangalore) are also encouraged to apply.
A limited number of partial and full travel grants are available for faculty members and research scientists from educational and research institutions in India. Please review the following page for details on that.
A limited number of scholarships will be awarded on a competitve basis. The following shall be considered (in no specific order) in determining the award:
- Authorship of a paper or poster at HiPC 2011, as part of the main program or its workshops
- Academic Record
- Prior exposure to research, demonstrated through research writing and participation in other technical symposiums
Expenses Covered by Travel Scholarship Award
Students who are successfully awarded the Travel Scholarship will be entitled to the following benefits, provisional upon meeting the compliance policies.
- Two-way second/sleeper class train fare between your college or home and the venue of the conference, i.e., Bengaluru (Bangalore)
- A fixed allowance of Rs.800/= per day for four days towards accommodation and meals during the period of December 18-21, 2011.
All students who get the scholarship will still have to register for the conference by paying the Advance registration fee as a Fulltime Student. Please visit the "Information for India-based Participants" page for the conference registration form. This registration should be completed by 15 November 2011, and they should specify "scholarship recipient" in the registration form. The students will also be eligible for all facilities and meals that are part of a regular conference registration, as detailed below.
Disbursement of the funds are subject to the compliance policies described below.
Registration and What It Provides
Students awarded the scholarship will still need to pay their registration fee for the conference. All students must register online before the Advance Registration deadline of 15 November 2011 and pay the Full-time Student fee
The registration fees paid by the students will include:
- Admission to all HiPC 2011 workshops and tutorials
- Admission to the Student Symposium Session on 18 December 2011
- Admission to all HiPC technical sessions on December 19, 20 and 21
- Breakfast, lunch and refreshments provided at the conference venue on all four days
- Admission to the conference banquet and cultural event
- A CD-ROM of the proceedings
Compliance Policies for Disbursement of Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded to provide motivated students the opportunity to attend the HiPC conference, learn the state-of-the-art in the field, and interact with researchers and their peers. To this end, we expect students to comply with certain policies to ensure that the award is not misused, and students benefit from the technical forum.
The following conditions must be met for the disbursement of the scholarship:
- Students will be required to attend all HiPC sessions, and sign an attendance sheet, if available, in each session.
- Students are also strongly encouraged to visit industry exhibitor booths.
- At the end of the day, students are to turn in a one page report of the sessions they attended and exhibitor booths they visited. The report shall list the talks attended by the students in each session, highlights of what they have gained from that session, list any questions or interaction they had with speakers, and so on. This daily report is to be handed in at the registration desk at the end of each day.
- The students need to actively participate in HiPC sessions, including student specific activities which will be organized.
- Students will be reimbursed their travel expenses on the last day of the conference. They must complete the travel reimbursement form available at the registration desk during the conference before the expenses will be paid. Students will need to provide the original train ticket for the inward journey and a photocopy of the ticket for the outward journey. Please do not surrender your ticket at the railway station.
- All students must present a currently valid photo-identity card issued by their institution.
- If students are unable to attend sessions on all four days of the conference, they will have to contact the Scholarships Chair to explain their absence.
- While we expect the highest standards from the students in keeping with the spirit of the conference, any of violation of these policies, misuse/abuse of the funds, or improper behavior by any awardee, their travel expenses will not be reimbursed. Further action, as deemed necessary, may also be taken, such as debarring them from future HiPC conferences, reporting the incident to the head of their institution, blacklisting of the department or institution, and so on.
We will accept scholarship applications until October 23rd, 2011 and announce the first batch of awardees by October 30th, 2011. Depending on the acceptance/rejection of the award by the first batch, additional scholarships may be awarded until November 16th, 2011. Any student selected for an award must register online for the conference within one week of your selection. Failing to do this will cause the award to be withdrawn to allow another student to benefit.
The scholarship application form can be accessed here.
Scholarship Co-ChairsAshok Srinivasan, Florida State University, USA
Yogesh Simmhan, University of Southern California, USA
student_symposium AT hipc.org